If you can, shut off current as quickly as possible. Release injured person from contact with wire. Be careful to protect yourself from shock. In releasing patient do not touch wire or any part of the patient directly. Don't touch with bare hands; don't use anything made of metal; don't use a moist stick.
If rubber boots and rubber gloves are at hand, stop and put them on; you will save time in the end. If not, try to find dry paper or dry board to stand on before touching patient.
Covering hands with dry paper is wise. If wire is lying on top of
patient, flip it off with a stick. If wire is under patient, and you have
to lift him, do not grasp or touch his body; take hold only of his clothes.
In electric shock patient is generally insensible. Lay him down,
loosen clothing. If breathing is suspended, use artificial respiration.
Burns caused by electric shock can be treated just as burns from fire.
Any statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA
and are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease or condition.
Always consult your professional health care provider.
copyright 2005, J. Crow Company, New Ipswich NH 03071